Looking for a delicate crochet stitch for your next project? Your search ends here, with the Tunisian crochet Lattice Stitch! Watch the included tutorial video to learn this beautifully classic stitch.
This post contains affiliate links that support the content on TLYCBlog.com. All opinions are my own. Find my Privacy & Disclosures Policy here.
When I was first learning Tunisian crochet, all I wanted to do was practice different stitches. Early on, I stumbled upon the Lattice stitch and I was instantly intrigued. The gentle slope of the stitches and the soothingly repetitive pattern had me making swatches for hours.
The Lattice Stitch is a 2-row repeat that combines traditional Tunisian crochet decreases with the Tunisian simple stitch. The result is a fabric with a pleasantly feminine appeal. You can always spot the Lattice Stitch from the distinct angular lines that travel up the fabric.
Ready to try the interesting Tunisian Crochet Lattice Stitch?! Grab your crochet hooks and watch this video:
Learn even more Tunisian crochet with these helpful videos:
- Tunisian Crochet for Absolute Beginners [watch here]
- How to Choose and Use Tunisian Crochet Hooks [watch here]
- 5 More Tunisian Crochet Stitches to Try [watch here]
Holiday Tunisian Sampler Blanket – Lattice Stitch Square Pattern
This tutorial was made as a supplement to the Lattice Stitch Square as part of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket. Find the full pattern to make your square below.
Join the Holiday TCAL 2020 event! This free crochet along to make the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket runs from October to November 2020. Get full details in this blog post and join the fun!
Lattice Stitch Square Pattern
*Get the printable PDF version of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket pattern HERE.
- Worsted weight yarn – color C
- 6.5mm Tunisian crochet hook with 16″ cord
- 6mm crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
12 x 12 inches square after blocking
The gauge varies for each square of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket. Reference the starting chain stitch multiple to make adjustments to your square. All squares should measure about 11.5″ square before the border is added.
- 2sc = 2 single crochet in the same stitch (increase made)
- Ch = chain
- Lts = last Tunisian stitch (see Special Stitches below)
- RetP = return pass
- Sc = single crochet
- Sc2tog = single crochet 2 together (decrease made)
- St(s) = stitch(es)
- Tss = Tunisian simple stitch
- Tss2tog = Tunisian simple stitch 2 together (see Special Stitches below)
- Last Tunisian Stitch (Lts) – insert hook under BOTH vertical bars of the last stitch and complete as for Tunisian simple stitch
- Tunisian Simple Stitch 2 Together (Tss2tog) – insert hook under the front vertical bars of the next 2 stitches, yarn over, pull up a loop through both stitches (decrease made)
Work the Tunisian Lattice Stitch over any odd number of stitches.
To ensure that all squares of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket will join evenly, apply the Standard Border. All squares need to have 35 single crochet stitches on each size. This means you will have to increase the number of edge stitches in some cases, and decrease the number of edge stitches in other places.
- To increase the number of stitches along an edge, evenly place 2sc increases along the edge where needed.
- To decrease the number of stitches along an edge, evenly place sc2tog decreases along the edge where needed.
ROW 1: With C and 6.5mm Tunisian crochet hook, ch 45, pull up a loop in the back bump of the 2nd ch from hook and each ch across row, RetP.
ROW 2: (Tss2tog, tss the first st of the tss2tog) across to last 2 sts, tss 1, Lts, RetP.
ROW 3: Tss 1, (tss2tog, tss the first st of the tss2tog) across to the last st, Lts, RetP.
Repeat Rows 2-3 until your square measures 11.5″ tall. My square had a total of 32 rows.
Slip stitch in each vertical bar loosely to bind off. Do not cut yarn.
- Change to 6mm crochet hook and ensure the square is facing right side up.
- Ch 1 (does not count as a stitch), single crochet 35 stitches evenly across the first edge of the square, placing increases and decreases where needed. At corner, ch 2 and rotate to work along the next edge.
- Single crochet 35 stitches evenly across the edge, placing increases and decreases where needed. At corner, ch 2 and rotate to work along the next edge.
- Repeat Step 3 for the remaining 2 sides. At the end of the round, join with a slip stitch in the first single crochet of the round. Fasten off and block your finished square to 12″ x 12″.
Click HERE to access stitch patterns for the other squares in the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket.