Turn your Tunisian crochet project on its head when you work on the bias – try corner to corner Tunisian crochet! Tunisian crochet on the bias is a fun way to reimagine basic Tunisian crochet stitches – learn this technique with my step-by-step tutorial video and written pattern.
This post contains affiliate links that support the content on TLYCBlog.com. All opinions are my own. Find my Privacy & Disclosures Policy here.
Corner to corner, or C2C, crochet is a staple crochet technique. But did you know you can do corner to corner with Tunisian crochet as well? For this technique, start with a small number of stitches and steadily increase to your desired width. When you are ready to square off your project, replace the increases with decreases. The result is a perfect square of Tunisian simple stitches.
I first fell in love with this stitch when making my Bias Tunisian Baby Blanket [free pattern HERE]. I had to bring it back as a standalone tutorial for makers who want to try this stitch pattern for other projects.
Ready to try Tunisian crochet on the bias?! Grab your crochet hooks and watch this video:
Learn even more Tunisian crochet with these helpful videos:
- Tunisian Crochet for Absolute Beginners [watch here]
- How to Choose and Use Tunisian Crochet Hooks [watch here]
- 5 More Tunisian Crochet Stitches to Try [watch here]
Holiday Tunisian Sampler Blanket – Bias Square Pattern
This tutorial was made as a supplement to the Bias Square as part of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket. Find the full pattern to make your square below.
Join the Holiday TCAL 2020 event! This free crochet along to make the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket runs from October to November 2020. Get full details in this blog post and join the fun!
Bias Square Pattern
*Get the printable PDF version of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket pattern HERE.
- Worsted weight yarn – color C
- 6.5mm Tunisian crochet hook with 16″ cord
- 6mm crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
12 x 12 inches square after blocking
The gauge varies for each square of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket. Reference the starting chain stitch multiple to make adjustments to your square. All squares should measure about 11.5″ square before the border is added.
- 2sc = 2 single crochet in the same stitch (increase made)
- Cc = change color
- Ch = chain
- Lts = last Tunisian stitch (see Special Stitches below)
- RetP = return pass
- Sc = single crochet
- Sc2tog = single crochet 2 together (decrease made)
- St(s) = stitch(es)
- Tfs = Tunisian full stitch
- Tss = Tunisian simple stitch
- Tss2tog = Tunisian simple stitch 2 together (see Special Stitches below)
- Last Tunisian Stitch (Lts) – insert hook under BOTH vertical bars of the last stitch and complete as for Tunisian simple stitch
- Tunisian Simple Stitch 2 Together (Tss2tog) = insert hook under the front vertical bars of the next 2 stitches, yarn over, pull up a loop through both stitches (decrease made).
To ensure that all squares of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket will join evenly, apply the Standard Border. All squares need to have 35 single crochet stitches on each size. This means you will have to increase the number of edge stitches in some cases, and decrease the number of edge stitches in other places.
- To increase the number of stitches along an edge, evenly place 2sc increases along the edge where needed.
- To decrease the number of stitches along an edge, evenly place sc2tog decreases along the edge where needed.
ROW 1: With C and 6.5mm Tunisian crochet hook, ch 3, pull up a loop in the back bump of the 2nd ch from hook and the last st, RetP. (3 sts)
ROW 2: Tfs 1, tss 1, tfs 1, Lts, RetP. (5 sts)
ROW 3: Tfs 1, tss across row to last st, tfs 1, Lts, RetP. (7 sts)
Repeat Row 3 until the short edges measure 11.5″ when slightly stretched. My square had 25 rows and 51 stitches along the working row at this point.
ROW 1: Tss2tog, tss across row to last 3 sts, tss2tog, Lts, RetP.
Repeat Row 1 until the working row has 5 stitches.
NEXT ROW: Tss2tog, tss2tog over next st and BOTH loops of the last st, RetP. (3 sts)
LAST ROW: Insert hook as for tss in next st and BOTH loop of the last st, yo, pull through all loops on hook. Do not fasten off. Continue to border.
- Change to 6mm crochet hook and ensure the square is facing right side up.
- Ch 1 (does not count as a stitch), single crochet 35 stitches evenly across the first edge of the square, placing increases and decreases where needed. At corner, ch 2 and rotate to work along the next edge.
- Single crochet 35 stitches evenly across the edge, placing increases and decreases where needed. At corner, ch 2 and rotate to work along the next edge.
- Repeat Step 3 for the remaining 2 sides. At the end of the round, join with a slip stitch in the first single crochet of the round. Fasten off and block your finished square to 12″ x 12″.
Click HERE to access stitch patterns for the other squares in the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket.