If you’re into clean lines and the perfect contrast, you’re going to love the Tunisian crochet block stitch. Learn this deceptively easy stitch with my step-by-step instructions and video tutorial.
This post contains affiliate links that support the content on TLYCBlog.com. All opinions are my own. Find my Privacy & Disclosures Policy here.
In my downtime between designing and teaching crochet, I love to get lost in stitch dictionaries. I was browsing one of the dozens of books I have and came across the Tunisian crochet block stitch. The clean lines and architectural nature appealed to me instantly.
There are so many possibilities when it comes to using a stitch like the block stitch. I imagine using a color-changing cake, alternating solid colors, or even using black and white to create a classic fabric. I see this stitch popping up a lot in my future and I hope you see it too!
Ready to try the interesting Tunisian Crochet Block Stitch?! Grab your crochet hooks and watch this video:
Learn even more Tunisian crochet with these helpful videos:
- Tunisian Crochet for Absolute Beginners [watch here]
- How to Choose and Use Tunisian Crochet Hooks [watch here]
- 5 More Tunisian Crochet Stitches to Try [watch here]
Holiday Tunisian Sampler Blanket – Block Stitch Square Pattern
This tutorial was made as a supplement to the Block Stitch Square as part of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket. Find the full pattern to make your square below.
Join the Holiday TCAL 2020 event! This free crochet along to make the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket runs from October to November 2020. Get full details in this blog post and join the fun!
Block Stitch Square Pattern
*Get the printable PDF version of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket pattern HERE.
- Worsted weight yarn – colors B and D
- 6.5mm Tunisian crochet hook with 16″ cord
- 6mm crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
12 x 12 inches square after blocking
The gauge varies for each square of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket. Reference the starting chain stitch multiple to make adjustments to your square. All squares should measure about 11.5″ square before the border is added.
- 2sc = 2 single crochet in the same stitch (increase made)
- Cc = change color
- Ch = chain
- Lts = last Tunisian stitch (see Special Stitches below)
- RetP = return pass
- Sc = single crochet
- Sc2tog = single crochet 2 together (decrease made)
- St(s) = stitch(es)
- Tss = Tunisian simple stitch
- XLTfpdc = extra long Tunisian front post double crochet (see Special Stitches below)
- Extra Long Tunisian Front Post Double Crochet (XLTfpdc) – yarn over, insert hook under the front and back vertical bars of the stitch 3 rows below, yarn over, pull up a loop, chain 1, yarn over, pull through 2 loops on hook.
- Last Tunisian Stitch (Lts) – insert hook under BOTH vertical bars of the last stitch and complete as for Tunisian simple stitch
NOTE: Carry colors up the side of work when note in use. Do not cut yarn between rows until instructed to.
Work the Tunisian Block Stitch over a multiple of 4 + 3 chains.
To ensure that all squares of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket will join evenly, apply the Standard Border. All squares need to have 35 single crochet stitches on each size. This means you will have to increase the number of edge stitches in some cases, and decrease the number of edge stitches in other places.
- To increase the number of stitches along an edge, evenly place 2sc increases along the edge where needed.
- To decrease the number of stitches along an edge, evenly place sc2tog decreases along the edge where needed.
ROW 1: With D and 6.5mm Tunisian crochet hook, ch 39, pull up a loop in the back bump of the 2nd ch from hook and each ch across row, RetP, cc to B.
ROWS 2-3: Tss across row to last st, Lts, RetP, cc to D when 2 loops are left on the hook at the end of Row 3.
ROW 4: Tss 2, (XLTfpdc 1, tss 3) across row, working last st as for Lts, RetP, cc to B when 2 loops are left on the hook.
Repeat Rows 2-4 until your square measures 11.5″ tall, ending with a Row 4 repeat. My square had a total of 34 rows.
At the end of the last row, do not change color. Fasten off C. Slip stitch bind off loosely with D. Continue to border.
- Change to 6mm crochet hook and ensure the square is facing right side up.
- Ch 1 (does not count as a stitch), single crochet 35 stitches evenly across the first edge of the square, placing increases and decreases where needed. At corner, ch 2 and rotate to work along the next edge.
- Single crochet 35 stitches evenly across the edge, placing increases and decreases where needed. At corner, ch 2 and rotate to work along the next edge.
- Repeat Step 3 for the remaining 2 sides. At the end of the round, join with a slip stitch in the first single crochet of the round. Fasten off and block your finished square to 12″ x 12″.
Click HERE to access stitch patterns for the other squares in the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket.