Add the Seed stitch to your Tunisian crochet toolkit! The Tunisian crochet seed stitch combines the knit stitch and purl stitch for a uniquely textured fabric that is fun to create and is a great choice for home decor, cozy accessories, and lightweight garments.
This post contains affiliate links that support the content on TLYCBlog.com. All opinions are my own. Find my Privacy & Disclosures Policy here.
The Tunisian crochet seed stitch is a hidden gem in the world of crochet stitches. The fabric is so unique and it’s easy to get lost in the long loops and purl bumps that make up this lovely pattern.
The seed stitch works up quickly as it is composed of the Tunisian crochet knit and purl stitches, which alternate each row. Use all one color for an overall striking effect, or stripe colors into the pattern for a playful take on this fun stitch.
Ready to try the interesting Tunisian Crochet Seed Stitch?! Grab your crochet hooks and watch this video:
Learn even more Tunisian crochet with these helpful videos:
- Tunisian Crochet for Absolute Beginners [watch here]
- How to Choose and Use Tunisian Crochet Hooks [watch here]
- 5 More Tunisian Crochet Stitches to Try [watch here]
Holiday Tunisian Sampler Blanket – Seed Stitch Square Pattern
This tutorial was made as a supplement to the Seed Stitch Square as part of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket. Find the full pattern to make your square below.
Join the Holiday TCAL 2020 event! This free crochet along to make the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket runs from October to November 2020. Get full details in this blog post and join the fun!
Seed Stitch Square Pattern
*Get the printable PDF version of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket pattern HERE.
- Worsted weight yarn – color C
- 6.5mm Tunisian crochet hook with 16″ cord
- 6mm crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
12 x 12 inches square after blocking
Gauge varies for each square of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket. Reference the starting chain stitch multiple to make adjustments to your square. All squares should measure about 11.5″ square before the border is added.
- 2sc = 2 single crochet in the same stitch (increase made)
- Ch = chain
- Lts = last Tunisian stitch (see Special Stitch below)
- RetP = return pass
- Sc = single crochet
- Sc2tog = single crochet 2 together (decrease made)
- St = stitch
- Tks = Tunisian knit stitch
- Tps = Tunisian purl stitch
Last Tunisian Stitch (Lts) – insert hook under BOTH vertical bars of the last stitch and complete as for Tunisian simple stitch
Work the Tunisian Seed Stitch over any even number of stitches.
To ensure that all squares of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket will join evenly, apply the Standard Border. All squares need to have 35 single crochet stitches on each size. This means you will have to increase the number of edge stitches in some cases, and decrease the number of edge stitches in other places.
- To increase the number of stitches along an edge, evenly place 2sc increases along the edge where needed.
- To decrease the number of stitches along an edge, evenly place sc2tog decreases along the edge where needed.
ROW 1: With C and 6.5mm Tunisian crochet hook, ch 36, pull up a loop in the back bump of the 2nd ch from the hook and each remaining ch, RetP.
ROW 2: (Tks 1, tps 1) across to last st, Lts, RetP.
ROW 3: (Tps 1, tks 1) across to last st, Lts, RetP.
Repeat Rows 2 and 3 until your square measures 11.5″ tall. My square had a total of 28 rows.
Slip stitch in each vertical bar loosely to bind off. Do not cut yarn.
- Change to 6mm crochet hook and ensure the square is facing right side up.
- Ch 1 (does not count as a stitch), single crochet 35 stitches evenly across the first edge of the square, placing increases and decreases where needed. At corner, ch 2 and rotate to work along the next edge.
- Single crochet 35 stitches evenly across the edge, placing increases and decreases where needed. At corner, ch 2 and rotate to work along the next edge.
- Repeat Step 3 for the remaining 2 sides. At the end of the round, join with a slip stitch in the first single crochet of the round. Fasten off and block your finished square to 12″ x 12″.
Click HERE to access stitch patterns for the other squares in the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket.