There’s nothing like a bit of color to boost the impact of a simple stitch. Two-tone stripes is an easy way to add color and interest to the Tunisian crochet simple stitch.
This post contains affiliate links that support the content on TLYCBlog.com. All opinions are my own. Find my Privacy & Disclosures Policy here.
The Tunisian simple stitch is one of the first stitches you learn in Tunisian crochet. The rhythm of picking up loops is so addicitve and I love watching the fabric grow. If you want to take the Tunisian simple stitch up a notch, try my favorite technique – Two Tone Simple Stitch Stripes!
Two-Tone Simple Stitch stripes involve changing color at the beginning of the return pass. That means the forward and return passes of your rows are worked in different colors. The result is an effortless tweed effect with endless possibilities.
Ready to practice Two-Tone Tunisian Crochet Stripes?! Grab your crochet hooks and watch this video:
Learn even more Tunisian crochet with these helpful videos:
- Tunisian Crochet for Absolute Beginners [watch here]
- How to Choose and Use Tunisian Crochet Hooks [watch here]
- 5 More Tunisian Crochet Stitches to Try [watch here]
Holiday Tunisian Sampler Blanket – Two-Tone Stripes Square Pattern
This tutorial was made as a supplement to the Two-Tone Tunisian Simple Stitch Square as part of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket. Find the full pattern to make your square below.
Join the Holiday TCAL 2020 event! This free crochet along to make the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket runs from October to November 2020. Get full details in this blog post and join the fun!
Two-Tone Tunisian Simple Stitch Square Pattern
*Get the printable PDF version of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket pattern HERE.
- Worsted weight yarn – colors A and D
- 6.5mm Tunisian crochet hook with 16″ cord
- 6mm crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
12 x 12 inches square after blocking
The gauge varies for each square of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket. Reference the starting chain stitch multiple to make adjustments to your square. All squares should measure about 11.5″ square before the border is added.
- 2sc = 2 single crochet in the same stitch (increase made)
- Ch(s) = chain(s)
- Lts = last Tunisian stitch (see Special Stitches below)
- Rep = repeat
- RetP = return pass
- Sc = single crochet
- Sc2tog = single crochet 2 together (decrease made)
- Sk = skip
- St(s) = stitch(es)
- Tss = Tunisian simple stitch
- Yo = yarn over
- Last Tunisian Stitch (Lts) – insert hook under BOTH vertical bars of the last stitch and complete as for Tunisian simple stitch
- Return Pass (RetP) – yo with new color and pull up a loop – counts as chain 1, (yo, pull through the next 2 loops) until only one loop remains on the hook
Work the Two-Tone Tunisian Simple Stitch over any number of stitches.
PATTERN NOTE: Carry yarn up the work when not in use. Do not cut yarn between rows until instructed otherwise.
To ensure that all squares of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket will join evenly, apply the Standard Border. All squares need to have 35 single crochet stitches on each size. This means you will have to increase the number of edge stitches in some cases, and decrease the number of edge stitches in other places.
- To increase the number of stitches along an edge, evenly place 2sc increases along the edge where needed.
- To decrease the number of stitches along an edge, evenly place sc2tog decreases along the edge where needed.
ROW 1: With D and 6.5mm corded hook, ch 40, pull up a loop in the back bump of the 2nd ch from hook and each remaining ch, RetP with A.
ROW 2: With A, tss across to last st, Lts, cc to D and complete RetP.
ROW 3: With D, tss across to last st, Lts, cc to A and complete RetP.
Rep Rows 2 and 3 to 11.5″ tall, ending with a Row 2 repeat. My square had 32 rows total. Fasten off A. Continuing with D, slip stitch bind in each front vertical bar loosely to bind off. Do not cut yarn – continue to Standard Border.
- Change to 6mm crochet hook and ensure the square is facing right side up.
- Ch 1 (does not count as a stitch), single crochet 35 stitches evenly across the first edge of the square, placing increases and decreases where needed. At corner, ch 2 and rotate to work along the next edge.
- Single crochet 35 stitches evenly across the edge, placing increases and decreases where needed. At corner, ch 2 and rotate to work along the next edge.
- Repeat Step 3 for the remaining 2 sides. At the end of the round, join with a slip stitch in the first single crochet of the round. Fasten off and block your finished square to 12″ x 12″.
Click HERE to access stitch patterns for the other squares in the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket.