Add some movement and color to your next project when you try the Tunisian Crochet Wave Stitch. Master this stitch using my helpful tutorial video and the written patern.
This post contains affiliate links that support the content on TLYCBlog.com. All opinions are my own. Find my Privacy & Disclosures Policy here.
Even though I design crochet patterns for a living, I still get a little intimidated by some stitches. My first encounter with the Tunisian crochet wave stitch was not pleasant. There were a few stitches I had never tried before, and carrying three colors at once seemed daunting. But, after some practice, I was able to memorize the stitch repeat and this pattern worked up very quickly!
The Tunisian crochet Wave Stitch gets its shape from using stitches of varying heights. The Tunisian double crochet creates a tall stitch, about twice as high as a Tunisian simple stitch, which is twice as high as a Tunisian slip stitch. Using all three of these stitches in one row results in a gentle wave that really shows off whatever yarn you’re using.
Ready to try the undulating Wave Stitch?! Grab your crochet hooks and watch this video:
Learn even more Tunisian crochet with these helpful videos:
- Tunisian Crochet for Absolute Beginners [watch here]
- How to Choose and Use Tunisian Crochet Hooks [watch here]
- 5 More Tunisian Crochet Stitches to Try [watch here]
Holiday Tunisian Sampler Blanket – Wave Stitch Square Pattern
This tutorial was made as a supplement to the Wave Stitch Square as part of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket. Find the full pattern to make your square below.
Join the Holiday TCAL 2020 event! This free crochet along to make the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket runs from October to November 2020. Get full details in this blog post and join the fun!
Wave Stitch Square Pattern
*Get the printable PDF version of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket pattern HERE.
- Worsted weight yarn – colors A, C, and D
- 6.5mm Tunisian crochet hook with 16″ cord
- 6mm crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
12 x 12 inches square after blocking
The gauge varies for each square of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket. Reference the starting chain stitch multiple to make adjustments to your square. All squares should measure about 11.5″ square before the border is added.
- 2sc = 2 single crochet in the same stitch (increase made)
- Cc = change color
- Ch(s) = chain(s)
- Lts = last Tunisian stitch (see Special Stitch below)
- RetP = return pass
- Sc = single crochet
- Sc2tog = single crochet 2 together (decrease made)
- Sk = skip
- St(s) = stitch(es)
- Tdc = Tunisian double crochet
- Tslst = Tunisian slip stitch
- Tss = Tunisian simple stitch
- Last Tunisian Stitch (Lts) – insert hook under BOTH vertical bars of the last stitch and complete as for Tunisian simple stitch
Work the Wave Stitch over a multiple of 10 plus 2 when creating the foundation chain.
PATTERN NOTE: Carry colors up the work when not in use. Do not cut yarn between rows until instructed otherwise.
To ensure that all squares of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket will join evenly, apply the Standard Border. All squares need to have 35 single crochet stitches on each size. This means you will have to increase the number of edge stitches in some cases, and decrease the number of edge stitches in other places.
- To increase the number of stitches along an edge, evenly place 2sc increases along the edge where needed.
- To decrease the number of stitches along an edge, evenly place sc2tog decreases along the edge where needed.
ROW 1: With D and 6.5mm corded hook, ch 42, pull up a loop in the back bump of the 2nd ch from hook and each remaining ch, RetP, cc to C when 2 loops are left on hook.
ROW 2: (Tss 2, tdc 4, tss 2, tslst 2) across to last st, Lts, RetP, cc to D when 2 loop are left on hook.
ROW 3: Tss across to last st, Lts, RetP, cc to A when 2 loops are left on hook.
ROW 4: Ch 1, tdc 1, (tss 2, tslst 2, tss 2, tdc 4) across row, working last tdc under BOTH loops of last st, RetP, cc to D when 2 loops are left on hook.
ROW 5: Tss across to last st, Lts, RetP, cc to C when 2 loops are left on hook.
Rep Rows 2-5 to 11.5”, ending with a Row 3 or Row 5 repeat. My square had 29 rows total.
At the end of the last row, do not change color. Fasten off A and C. With D, slip stitch in each vertical bar loosely to bind off. Do not cut yarn.
- Change to 6mm crochet hook and ensure the square is facing right side up.
- Ch 1 (does not count as a stitch), single crochet 35 stitches evenly across the first edge of the square, placing increases and decreases where needed. At corner, ch 2 and rotate to work along the next edge.
- Single crochet 35 stitches evenly across the edge, placing increases and decreases where needed. At corner, ch 2 and rotate to work along the next edge.
- Repeat Step 3 for the remaining 2 sides. At the end of the round, join with a slip stitch in the first single crochet of the round. Fasten off and block your finished square to 12″ x 12″.
Click HERE to access stitch patterns for the other squares in the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket.