It’s the most wonderful time of the year – it’s time for Make It CAL 2024! Join me and makers from around the world to crochet your favorite projects from the TL Yarn Crafts library and win fabulous prizes.
This post contains affiliate links that support the content on TLYCBlog.com. All opinions are my own. Find my Privacy & Disclosures Policy here.
What is Make It CAL?
Crochet alongs (aka CALs) are one of my favorite things! Make It CAL 2024 is a chance to focus on a new project you’ve always wanted to make or to complete a project you’ve been meaning to finish.
I’m always so inspired by the beginning of the year. That’s why I introduced Make It CAL back in 2019. This annual event is a chance to harness the creativity of the new year and turn that energy into finished crochet projects.
Beginning January 15th, choose any TL Yarn Crafts pattern and make it during the crochet along time period. Share your projects on social media for a chance to win prizes from our CAL sponsors.
Here’s a breakdown of important dates:
- Gathering Supplies, now through January 15th. Pick a brand new pattern from my shop or find plenty of free patterns on my blog. Better yet, dig out one of those long-forgotten WIPs from your closet and finish that during Make It CAL. Don’t worry about starting your project on Day 1 – you can jump into the CAL anytime.
- Weeks 1-5, January 15th – February 19th. Make your projects and share them on Instagram. To enter the giveaways, you must tag @TLYarnCrafts on your photo (how to tag in photos). There will be a new prize each week.
- Class Photo, February 19th. I’ll pick a selection of photos for a fun collage and share them online. Check back to see if your WIP made it into the class photo.
Follow along & share your progress using the Make It CAL 2024 hashtag on Instagram – #MakeItCAL2024
Did You Say Prizes?
It wouldn’t be a TL Yarn Crafts crochet along without prizes! I’ve tapped a few of my favorite brands to help make Make It CAL 2024 fun, productive, and exciting.
How to Enter – Instagram. Post your project and tag @TLYarnCrafts in the photo [here’s how to do that!]. Then, follow @TLYarnCrafts and the sponsor for that week. Entries will include posts only from that week, and the winner will be announced the Sunday before the following week. Each giveaway is open internationally.
Week 1 – Sponsored by Hobbii
Based in Denmark, Hobbii is a one-stop shop for yarn lovers around the world. They’re also my partner for my very first yarn line – Happy Place! Share your Make It CAL WIP during week 1 for a chance to win a $100 gift card, valid for Hobbii’s entire website of yarn, tools, notions, gifts, and patterns.
Week 2 – Sponsored by WeCrochet
What better way to show love to hooks and string than with WeCrochet as a giveaway partner? Show off your WIP in week 2 for a chance to win their fan-favorite Dots Hooks. Display these ergonomic and color-coded hooks in their matching Hook Caddy, which is included in the prize.
Week 3 – Cocoknits
Based in Oakland, California, Cocoknits is a women-owned and operated company making beautiful, high-quality maker notions and tools. I fell in love with their split-ring stitch markers, but they have much more in store. Take home your favorite Cocoknits notions when you win a $50 gift card in week 3 of Make It CAL.
Week 4 – Sponsored by Lion Brand Yarn
If you’ve been itching to start a new WIP, you won’t want to miss week 4. Lion Brand Yarn has generously offered a kit of your choice for our crochet along. The winner will get to choose any one kit from TLYC’s library of designs on Lion Brand’s website. Choose from blankets, bags, shawls, tops, and more!
Week 5 – Sponsored by TL Yarn Crafts
My first book, The Tunisian Crochet Handbook, is my pride and joy, and I want you to have a copy! Enter your WIP this week for a chance to win a TC Handbook Prize Pack. It includes a signed + personalized copy of my book, hand-picked yarn to make your first project, and plenty more goodies share (or to keep).
Project and Pattern Ideas
So, you’re all in for the crochet along (who wouldn’t be with those amazing prizes!), but you don’t know what to make. Here are some ideas for finding the perfect project for Make It CAL 20224
- Free Crochet Patterns: Choose from dozens of free crochet patterns on my blog. A few of my favorites are the Montego Shawl and the Mocha Ripple Afghan. Check out free crochet patterns HERE.
- PDF Printable Patterns: Prefer an ad-free pattern? Browse through 100+ TLYC patterns in my shop and on Ravelry. Have you seen Entrelac And Key? You can clear some major stash with a pattern like that. Shop PDF patterns HERE.
- Pattern Bundles: Still can’t decide on just one pattern for Make It CAL? Take your pick when you save big on curated pattern bundles. Find the best of the best in the CAL Starter Pack and the Toni’s Favorites Bundle. Explore all bundles HERE.
- All-In-One Kits: Take the fuss out of preparing for Make It CAL and get an all-in-one kit from Lion Brand. Customize your kit to make the cardigan, blanket, or sweater of your dreams. Browse all kits HERE.
- Exclusive Patterns: Looking for a rare gem of a pattern? Check out the ambitious Rustic Rainbow Throw and meditative Arvada Shawl for projects off the beaten path.
How to Get Involved
Joining Make It CAL 2024 couldn’t be easier. Pick any TL Yarn Crafts pattern (free or paid, doesn’t matter!) and share it with us on Instagram anytime from January 15th to February 18th. Tag @TLYarnCrafts in your post to be entered in the prize drawings. NOTE: Your account has to be Public for me to see your entry. Also, use #MakeItCAL2024 to motivate and inspire the entire TLYC community.
I’m so excited to crochet along with you! I’ll be making the Odyssey Wrap with yarn leftover from my 2022 temperature blanket. If I finish with time to spare, I’ll be moving onto a Good Vibes Throw. Get your projects ready and let’s start stitching on January 15th!
Have questions about Make It CAL 2024?
Drop them below!