The Brick Stitch is easier than you think and so fun to stitch up! Learn to work up this Tunisian crochet stitch using my step-by-step tutorial video and the written pattern.
This post contains affiliate links that support the content on TLYCBlog.com. All opinions are my own. Find my Privacy & Disclosures Policy here.
As a designer, I’m always drawn to modern, geometric lines in crochet. For that reason, the Tunisian crochet Brick Stitch became an instant favorite in my book. And the best part is, this stitch pattern gets all of its character from the addition of just one stitch – the Long Tunisian Front Post Double Crochet.
The Long Tunisian Front Post Double Crochet (LTfpdc, for short) is an easy way to create what look like stacked bricks in crochet form. Similar to the Block Stitch, the Tunisian crochet Brick Stitch uses these post stitches to extend the placement of the main color, resulting in a modern and clean fabric that looks great in any project.
Ready to try the interesting Tunisian Crochet Brick Stitch?! Grab your crochet hooks and watch this video:
Learn even more Tunisian crochet with these helpful videos:
- Tunisian Crochet for Absolute Beginners [watch here]
- How to Choose and Use Tunisian Crochet Hooks [watch here]
- 5 More Tunisian Crochet Stitches to Try [watch here]
Holiday Tunisian Sampler Blanket – Brick Stitch Square Pattern
This tutorial was made as a supplement to the Brick Stitch Square as part of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket. Find the full pattern to make your square below.
Join the Holiday TCAL 2020 event! This free crochet along to make the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket runs from October to November 2020. Get full details in this blog post and join the fun!
Brick Stitch Square Pattern
*Get the printable PDF version of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket pattern HERE.
- Worsted weight yarn – colors A and C
- 6.5mm Tunisian crochet hook with 16″ cord
- 6mm crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
12 x 12 inches square after blocking
The gauge varies for each square of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket. Reference the starting chain stitch multiple to make adjustments to your square. All squares should measure about 11.5″ square before the border is added.
- 2sc = 2 single crochet in the same stitch (increase made)
- Cc = change color
- Ch(s) = chain(s)
- Ltfpdc = long Tunisian front post double crochet (see Special Stitches below)
- Lts = last Tunisian stitch (see Special Stitches below)
- RetP = return pass
- Sc = single crochet
- Sc2tog = single crochet 2 together (decrease made)
- Sk = skip
- St(s) = stitch(es)
- Tss = Tunisian simple stitch
- Long Tunisian Front Post Double Crochet: yarn over, insert hook under the front and back vertical bars of the stitch 2 rows below, yarn over, pull up a loop, yarn over, pull through 2 loops on hook.
- Last Tunisian Stitch (Lts) – insert hook under BOTH vertical bars of the last stitch and complete as for Tunisian simple stitch
Work the Brick Stitch over a multiple of 4 plus 1 when creating the foundation chain.
PATTERN NOTE: Carry colors up the work when not in use. Do not cut yarn between rows until instructed otherwise.
To ensure that all squares of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket will join evenly, apply the Standard Border. All squares need to have 35 single crochet stitches on each size. This means you will have to increase the number of edge stitches in some cases, and decrease the number of edge stitches in other places.
- To increase the number of stitches along an edge, evenly place 2sc increases along the edge where needed.
- To decrease the number of stitches along an edge, evenly place sc2tog decreases along the edge where needed.
ROW 1: With A and 6.5mm corded hook, ch 41, pull up a loop in the back bump of the 2nd ch from hook and each remaining ch, RetP, cc to C when 2 loops are left on hook.
ROW 2: Tss across to last st, Lts, RetP, cc to A when 2 loops are left on hook.
ROW 3: (Tss 3, LTfpdc 1) to last 4 sts, tss 3, Lts, RetP, cc to C when 2 loops are left on hook.
ROW 4: Rep Row 2.
ROW 5: Tss 1, LTfpdc 1, (tss 3, LTfpdc 1) to last 2 sts, tss 1, Lts, RetP, cc to C when 2 loops are left on hook.
Rep Rows 2-5 to 11.5”, ending with a Row 3 or Row 5 repeat. My square had 33 rows total.
At the end of the last row, do not change color. Fasten off C. With A, slip stitch in each vertical bar loosely to bind off. Cc to C, fasten off A, proceed to work Standard Border in C.
- Change to 6mm crochet hook and ensure the square is facing right side up.
- Ch 1 (does not count as a stitch), single crochet 35 stitches evenly across the first edge of the square, placing increases and decreases where needed. At corner, ch 2 and rotate to work along the next edge.
- Single crochet 35 stitches evenly across the edge, placing increases and decreases where needed. At corner, ch 2 and rotate to work along the next edge.
- Repeat Step 3 for the remaining 2 sides. At the end of the round, join with a slip stitch in the first single crochet of the round. Fasten off and block your finished square to 12″ x 12″.
Click HERE to access stitch patterns for the other squares in the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket.