If instant gratification is what you’re looking for, Tunisian crochet mitered squares are what you need! These little squares pack a big punch, especially when you add color to them. Learn this technique in my tutorial video and start your next mitered square project.
This post contains affiliate links that support the content on TLYCBlog.com. All opinions are my own. Find my Privacy & Disclosures Policy here.
I’ve been addicted to granny squares since I could crochet. A granny square blanket was actually my very first crochet project! Now that I’m taking a deep dive into Tunisian crochet, I’m glad I can still indulge in squares – specifically, mitered squares.
Mitered Squares begin with a long foundation row. Tunisian simple stitches and simple stitch decreases are placed just so, allowing the piece to naturally create four corners. The result is a beautiful square of fabric that’s ready to be made into blankets, scarves, and anything else you can imagine.
Ready to try your hand at Tunisian crochet mitered squares? Grab your crochet hooks and watch this video:
Learn even more Tunisian crochet with these helpful videos:
- Tunisian Crochet for Absolute Beginners [watch here]
- How to Choose and Use Tunisian Crochet Hooks [watch here]
- 5 More Tunisian Crochet Stitches to Try [watch here]
Holiday Tunisian Sampler Blanket – Mitered Square Pattern
This tutorial was made as a supplement to the Mitered Square as part of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket. Find the full pattern to make your square below.
Join the Holiday TCAL 2020 event! This free crochet along to make the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket runs from October to November 2020. Get full details in this blog post and join the fun!
Mitered Square Pattern
*Get the printable PDF version of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket pattern HERE.
- Worsted weight yarn – colors B and D
- 6.5mm Tunisian crochet hook with 16″ cord
- 6mm crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
- Stitch marker (optional)
12 x 12 inches square after blocking
The gauge varies for each square of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket. Reference the starting chain stitch multiple to make adjustments to your square. All squares should measure about 11.5″ square before the border is added.
- 2sc = 2 single crochet in the same stitch (increase made)
- Cc = change color
- Ch = chain
- Lts = last Tunisian stitch (see Special Stitches below)
- RetP = return pass
- Sc = single crochet
- Sc2tog = single crochet 2 together (decrease made)
- St(s) = stitch(es)
- Tss = Tunisian simple stitch
- Tss3tog = Tunisian simple stitch 3 together (see Special Stitches below)
- Yo = yarn over
- Last Tunisian Stitch (Lts) – insert hook under BOTH vertical bars of the last stitch and complete as for Tunisian simple stitch
- Tunisian Simple Stitch 3 Together (Tss3tog) – insert hook under the front vertical bars of the next 3 stitches, yarn over, pull up a loop through all 3 stitches (decrease made)
Begin the Tunisian crochet mitered square with an odd number of stitches.
To ensure that all squares of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket will join evenly, apply the Standard Border. All squares need to have 35 single crochet stitches on each size. This means you will have to increase the number of edge stitches in some cases, and decrease the number of edge stitches in other places.
- To increase the number of stitches along an edge, evenly place 2sc increases along the edge where needed.
- To decrease the number of stitches along an edge, evenly place sc2tog decreases along the edge where needed.
ROW 1: With D and 6.5mm Tunisian crochet hook, ch 73, pull up a loop in the back bump of the 2nd ch from hook and each ch across row, RetP.
ROW 2: Tss 35, tss3tog (mark st), tss to last st, Lts, RetP, cc to B when there are 2 loops left on hook.
ROW 3: Tss to st before marked st, tss3tog (move marker up), tss to last st, Lts, RetP, cc to D when there are 2 loops left on hook.
Repeat Row 3 until the working row has 5 stitches, alternating between D and B each row and moving the stitch marker up.
NEXT ROW: Tss3tog, Lts, RetP, cc to B when there are 2 loops left on hook.
LAST ROW: Insert hook into next st as for tss, insert hook into last st as for Lts, yo, pull through all loops on hook. Fasten off B.
- Change to 6mm crochet hook and ensure the square is facing right side up.
- With D, sl st in the stitch to the left of any corner, ch 1 (does not count as a stitch), single crochet in the same stitch as join, continue to single crochet 35 stitches evenly across the first edge of the square, placing increases and decreases where needed. At corner, ch 2 and rotate to work along the next edge.
- Single crochet 35 stitches evenly across the edge, placing increases and decreases where needed. At corner, ch 2 and rotate to work along the next edge.
- Repeat Step 3 for the remaining 2 sides. At the end of the round, join with a slip stitch in the first single crochet of the round. Fasten off and block your finished square to 12″ x 12″.
Click HERE to access stitch patterns for the other squares in the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket.