When two amazing techniques combine, it’s a match made in heaven. Learn how to add character to your Tunisian crochet projects by adding simple cross stitch. This is great for baby blankets, wall decor, and even embellishing your clothes! Watch this video to learn the simple technique of adding cross stitch to Tunisian crochet!
This post contains affiliate links that support the content on TLYCBlog.com. All opinions are my own. Find my Privacy & Disclosures Policy here.
It’s no secret – I’m OBSESSED with Tunisian crochet. It’s a fun technique that combines knitting and crochet to make a dense, beautiful fabric.
Take Tunisian crochet to the next level by adding cross stitch, another simple but dynamic technique. You can cross stitch graphics and letters on your Tunisian crochet projects to add character and personalize them for gifts.
Jazz up your Tunisian crochet projects with cross stitch! Watch this step-by-step tutorial and you’ll be cross stitching in no time.
Ready to get started? Watch this video:
DOWNLOAD THE PIXEL HEART ART HERE
// RELEVANT LINKS
- Learn how to steam block your knit & crochet projects: https://youtu.be/rqPkzTeCgMI
- Tunisian Crochet for Beginners: https://youtu.be/KsgJ8qLcIz8
- My Top 5 Tunisian Crochet Hook Sets: https://youtu.be/GqIdYUbaWjw
- Check out Stitch Fiddle, a free web-based pixel art site: https://www.stitchfiddle.com/en
Practice your new skills and try the Stay Home Wall Hanging! Get the project here:
Holiday Tunisian Sampler Blanket – Tree Square Pattern
This technique is used in the Tree Square as part of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket. Find the full pattern to make your square below.
Join the Holiday TCAL 2020 event! This free crochet along to make the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket runs from October to November 2020. Get full details in this blog post and join the fun!
Tree Square Pattern
*Get the printable PDF version of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket pattern HERE.
- Worsted weight yarn – colors B, C, and D
- 6.5mm Tunisian crochet hook with 16″ cord
- 6mm crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
12 x 12 inches square after blocking
The gauge varies for each square of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket. Reference the starting chain stitch multiple to make adjustments to your square. All squares should measure about 11.5″ square before the border is added.
- 2sc = 2 single crochet in the same stitch (increase made)
- Ch(s) = chain(s)
- Lts = last Tunisian stitch (see Special Stitches below)
- Rep = repeat
- RetP = return pass
- Sc = single crochet
- Sc2tog = single crochet 2 together (decrease made)
- Sk = skip
- St(s) = stitch(es)
- Tss = Tunisian simple stitch
- Yo = yarn over
- Last Tunisian Stitch (Lts) – insert hook under BOTH vertical bars of the last stitch and complete as for Tunisian simple stitch
- Return Pass (RetP) – ch 1, (yo, pull through the next 2 loops) until only one loop remains on the hook
To ensure that all squares of the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket will join evenly, apply the Standard Border. All squares need to have 35 single crochet stitches on each size. This means you will have to increase the number of edge stitches in some cases, and decrease the number of edge stitches in other places.
- To increase the number of stitches along an edge, evenly place 2sc increases along the edge where needed.
- To decrease the number of stitches along an edge, evenly place sc2tog decreases along the edge where needed.
ROW 1: With D and 6.5mm corded hook, ch 40, pull up a loop in the back bump of the 2nd ch from hook and each remaining ch, RetP.
ROW 2: Tss across to last st, Lts, RetP.
Slip stitch loosely in each vertical bar across the last row to bind off. Continue to the Standard Border.
- Change to 6mm crochet hook and ensure the square is facing right side up.
- Ch 1 (does not count as a stitch), single crochet 35 stitches evenly across the first edge of the square, placing increases and decreases where needed. At corner, ch 2 and rotate to work along the next edge.
- Single crochet 35 stitches evenly across the edge, placing increases and decreases where needed. At corner, ch 2 and rotate to work along the next edge.
- Repeat Step 3 for the remaining 2 sides. At the end of the round, join with a slip stitch in the first single crochet of the round. Fasten off and block your finished square to 12″ x 12″.
Use the chart below to cross stitch the tree onto the square. Color C is used for the tree and color B is used for the trunk. Weave in all remaining ends.
Click HERE to access stitch patterns for the other squares in the Tunisian Holiday Sampler Blanket.