It’s the most wonderful time of the year – it’s time for Make It CAL 2022! Join me and makers from around the world to crochet your favorite projects from the TL Yarn Crafts library and win fabulous prizes.
This post contains affiliate links that support the content on TLYCBlog.com. All opinions are my own. Find my Privacy & Disclosures Policy here.
What is Make It CAL?
Crochet alongs (aka CALs) are one of my favorite things! Make It CAL 2022 is a chance to focus on a new project you’ve always wanted to make or to complete a project you’ve been meaning to finish.
I’m always so inspired by the beginning of the year. That’s why I introduced Make It CAL back in 2019. This annual event is a chance to harness the creativity of the new year and turn that energy into finished crochet projects.
Beginning January 24th, choose any TL Yarn Crafts pattern and make it during the crochet along time period. Share your projects on social media for a chance to win prizes from our CAL sponsors.
Here’s a breakdown of important dates:
- Gathering Supplies, now through January 24th. Pick a brand new pattern from my shop or find plenty of free patterns on my blog. Better yet, dig out one of those long forgotten WIPs from your closet and finish that during Make It CAL. Don’t worry about starting your project on Day 1 – you can jump into the CAL anytime.
- Weeks 1-5, January 24th – February 25th. Make your projects and share them on Instagram and Facebook. There will be a new prize sponsor each week, and you can enter to win prizes on both social media platforms.
- Class Photo, February 25th. I’ll pick a selection of photos for a massive collage and share them online. Check back to see if your WIP made it into the class photo.
Follow along & share your progress using the Make It CAL 2022 hashtag on Instagram – #MakeItCAL2022
Did You Say Prizes?
It wouldn’t be a TL Yarn Crafts crochet along without prizes! I’ve tapped a few of my favorite makers and brands to help make Make It CAL 2022 fun, productive, and exciting.
How to Enter – Instagram. Post your project with the hashtag #MakeItCAL2022 and follow @TLYarnCrafts and the sponsor for that week. Entries will include posts only from that week and the winner will be announced the Sunday before the following week. Each giveaway is open internationally unless otherwise mentioned below.
How to Enter – Facebook. Join my Facebook group, TLYC Makers. I will share a post each Monday of the CAL. Post an image of your project only once on the pinned post for that week to enter the giveaway. Each giveaway is open internationally unless otherwise mentioned below.
Week 1 – Sponsored by Hue Loco
Nicole of Hue Loco is a wizard with dye and colors. She makes some of the most gorgeous yarn I’ve ever had the pleasure to crochet with. Share your Make It CAL WIP during week 1 for a chance to win a fingering weight yarn kit to make the Loveland Lite as well as PDF copy of the pattern. Giveaway open to U.S. residents only.
Week 2 – Sponsored by Cocoknits
Based in Oakland, California, Cocoknits is a women-owned and operated company making beautiful, high-quality maker notions and tools. I fell in love with their split-ring stitch markers, but they have much more in store. Take home your favorite Cocoknits notions when you win a $40 gift card in week 2 of Make It CAL. International entries welcome.
Week 3 – Sponsored by Lantern Moon
There’s a new set of Tunisian crochet hooks on the block! Knitter’s Pride acquired the rights to distribute tools made by Lantern Moon, a brand committed to luxury, diversity, and craftsmanship. Get your hands on their Bequest Tunisian crochet hook set, which includes 6 gorgeous Ebony wood hooks. Giveaway open to U.S. and Canadian residents only.
Week 4 – Sponsored by WarmHeart Scissors
If you have a thing for scissors like I do, then you don’t want to miss Week 4. WarmHeart Scissors has generously offered their beautiful scissors for our crochet along. Each winner (2 total) gets to pick not one, not two, but THREE pairs of scissors from their collection of unique embroidery snips. Keep one for yourself and give the others to your besties. International entries welcome.
Week 5 – Sponsored by Abrams Books
My first book, The Tunisian Crochet Handbook, is my pride and joy, and I want you to have a copy! Enter your WIP this week for a chance to win a digital copy of TC Handbook. To make the pot even sweeter, I’ll have 3 copies up for grabs on Instagram AND Facebook. International entries welcome.
Project and Pattern Ideas
So, you’re all in for the crochet along (who wouldn’t be with those amazing prizes!), but you don’t know what to make. Here are some ideas for finding the perfect project for Make It CAL 2022:
- Free Crochet Patterns: Choose from dozens of free crochet patterns on my blog. A few of my favorites are the December Cardigan and the Mocha Ripple Afghan. Check out free crochet patterns HERE.
- PDF Printable Patterns: Prefer an ad-free pattern? Browse through 100+ TLYC patterns in my shop and on Ravelry. Have you seen Entrelac And Key? You can clear some major stash with a pattern like that. Shop PDF patterns HERE.
- Pattern Bundles: Still can’t decide on just one pattern for Make It CAL? Take your pick when you save big on curated pattern bundles. Find the best of the best in the Top 8 Bundle and the Toni’s Favorites Bundle. Explore all bundles HERE.
- All-In-One Kits: Take the fuss out of preparing for Make It CAL and get an all-in-one kit from Lion Brand. Customize your kit to make the cardigan, blanket, or sweater of your dreams. Browse all kits HERE.
- Exclusive Patterns: Looking for a rare gem of a pattern? Check out the adorable Quinn Blanket and cuddly Odyssey Wrap for a project off the beaten path.
How to Get Involved
Joining Make It CAL 2022 couldn’t be easier. Just pick any TL Yarn Crafts pattern (free or paid, doesn’t matter!) and share it with us anytime from January 24th to February 25th. Use the hashtag #MakeItCAL2022 when sharing on Instagram, and share in my group on Facebook.
I’m so excited to crochet along with you! I’ll be making the December Cardigan in this gorgeous yarn from Shepherd’s Wool. Think I can finish a cardigan in 5 weeks? I hope so! Get your projects ready and let’s start stitching on January 24th.