It’s the most wonderful time of the year – it’s time for Make It CAL 2023! Join me and makers from around the world to crochet your favorite projects from the TL Yarn Crafts library and win fabulous prizes.
This post contains affiliate links that support the content on TLYCBlog.com. All opinions are my own. Find my Privacy & Disclosures Policy here.
What is Make It CAL?
Crochet alongs (aka CALs) are one of my favorite things! Make It CAL 2023 is a chance to focus on a new project you’ve always wanted to make or to complete a project you’ve been meaning to finish.
The start of a year brings a new perspective and fresh energy. That’s why I introduced Make It CAL back in 2019. This annual event is a chance to harness the creativity of the new year and turn that energy into finished crochet projects with the cheer and encouragement of one another.
Beginning January 23rd, choose any TL Yarn Crafts pattern and make it during the 5 weeks of the crochet along time period. Share your projects on social media for a chance to win prizes from our CAL sponsors.
Here’s a breakdown of important dates:
- Gathering Supplies, now through January 23rd. Pick a brand new pattern from my shop or find plenty of free patterns on my blog. Better yet, dig out one of those long-forgotten WIPs from your closet and finish that during Make It CAL. Don’t worry about starting your project on Day 1 – you can jump into the CAL anytime.
- Weeks 1-5, January 24th – February 24th. Make your projects and share them on Instagram. There will be a new prize sponsor each week – use #MakeItCAL2023 in your post to be entered in the giveaway.
- Class Photo, February 24th. I’ll pick a selection of photos for a massive collage and share them online. Check back to see if your WIP made it into the class photo.
Follow along & share your progress using the Make It CAL 2023 hashtag on Instagram – #MakeItCAL2023
Did You Say Prizes?
It wouldn’t be a TL Yarn Crafts crochet along without prizes! I’ve teamed up with a few of my favorite makers and brands to help make Make It CAL 2023 fun, productive, and exciting.
How to Enter: Post your project on Instagram with the hashtag #MakeItCAL2023 and follow @TLYarnCrafts and the sponsor for that week. Entries will include posts only from that week and the winner will be announced on Monday of the following week. Each giveaway is open internationally unless otherwise mentioned below.
Week 1 – Sponsored by Lion Brand
You can’t say “yarn” without thinking of Lion Brand! As one of the longest supporters of TLYC, I couldn’t think of a better partner to sponsor the first giveaway of Make It CAL 2023. This time around, Lion Brand is giving one lucky winner a $100 shopping spree to stuff their cart with yarn, notions, and swag.
Week 2 – Sponsored by Denise Interchangeables
Denise is a family-owned company, producing high-quality knitting needles and Tunisian crochet hooks right here in the U.S.A. I built my Tunisian crochet foundation using their hooks for nearly 2 years straight and I can’t recommend them enough. The fine folks at Denise were generous enough to offer their Denise 2Go 2-Hook Set to one lucky winner in week 2.
Week 3 – Sponsored by WeCrochet
What better way to show love to hooks and string than with WeCrochet as a giveaway partner? Show off your WIP in week 3 for a chance to win $100 of your new favorite goodies. Indulge in crochet hooks, notions pouches, and the best blend of value and luxury yarns available on the internet. This giveaway is open to those with U.S, Canada, Australia, and U.K. addresses only.
Week 4 – Sponsored by Sewrella
Ashleigh and the team at Sewrella Yarn are wizards with dye and colors. They combine trendy collections with must-have notions and treats for the ultimate making experience. Share your Make It CAL WIP during week 4 for a chance to win a specially curated DK weight yarn kit to make the Bronwyn Shawl as well as PDF copy of the pattern.
Week 5 – Sponsored by TL Yarn Crafts + Abrams
My first book, The Tunisian Crochet Handbook, is my pride and joy, and I want you to have a copy! Enter your WIP this week for a chance to win a signed copy of the TC Handbook PLUS the yarn to make the Bliss Braided Ear Warmer in your choice of 3 colors. To make the pot even sweeter, I’ll have 3 copies up for grabs. ADDITIONALLY, my publisher, Abrams Books, has generously offered digital versions of TC Handbook to 5 additional winners! International entries are welcome.
Project and Pattern Ideas
So, you’re all in for the crochet along (who wouldn’t be with those amazing prizes!), but you don’t know what to make. Here are some ideas for finding the perfect project for Make It CAL 2023:
- Free Crochet Patterns: Choose from dozens of free crochet patterns on my blog. A few of my favorites are the Kima Cardi and the Mocha Ripple Afghan. Check out free crochet patterns HERE.
- PDF Printable Patterns: Prefer an ad-free pattern? Browse through 100+ TLYC patterns in my shop and on Ravelry. Have you seen Entrelac And Key? You can clear some major stash with a pattern like that. Shop PDF patterns HERE.
- Pattern Bundles: Still can’t decide on just one pattern for Make It CAL? Take your pick when you save big on curated pattern bundles. Find the best of the best in the Top 8 Bundle and the Toni’s Favorites Bundle. Explore all bundles HERE.
- All-In-One Kits: Take the fuss out of preparing for Make It CAL and get an all-in-one kit from Lion Brand. Customize your kit to make the cardigan, blanket, or sweater of your dreams. Browse all kits HERE.
- Exclusive Patterns: Looking for a rare gem of a pattern? Check out the adorable Quinn Blanket and cuddly Odyssey Wrap for a project off the beaten path.
Make It CAL 2023 Bundle
On the fence about which project (or 2!) to start for Make It CAL 2023? I’ve got the solution – the CAL Starter Pack pattern bundle. Get 8 of my fan-favorite patterns in a convenient pattern pack for the special price of just $19 for the duration of the CAL!
The CAL Starter Pack includes the following patterns:
- Amber Afghan
- Barclay Beanie
- Fireside Basket
- Flatiron Shawl
- French Press Cardi
- Harper Bucket Bag
- Kima Cardi
- Westmont Shawl
Snag your CAL Starter Pack bundle before the price returns to normal! Find it in my shop HERE.
How to Get Involved
Joining Make It CAL 2023 couldn’t be easier. Just pick any TL Yarn Crafts pattern (free or paid, doesn’t matter!) and share it with us anytime from January 23rd to February 24th. Use the hashtag #MakeItCAL2023 when sharing on Instagram, which also gets you entered into the weekly giveaways. There are no sign ups and no lists to join. Just good vibes and finished projects 🥰
I’m so excited to crochet along with you! I’ll be making the Cadenza Wrap to stash bust my massive collection of mini skeins. Think I can finish this giant shawl in 5 weeks? I hope so! Get your projects ready and let’s start stitching on January 23rd.
Beverley Wright-Belle says
Hi Toni: I am during the KimA Cardi, but I all so want to do a temperature blanket, I live in Sunny, hot south Fla ( Miami ) what color palette would be best, I have done two projects in my new favorite style of crochet Tunisia. I would like to add I have three family members to COVID. and learning new crochet stitches has helped me through my grief. your upbeat, joyful teaching style is infectious, and I sincerely appreciate it.
Elizabeth Moran says
Aww. Thank you so much!