I’m so excited that you’re ready to learn how to crochet! This step-by-step video tutorial covers everything from picking your materials to weaving in your ends. Find a comfy chair and get ready to learn your new favorite skill.
This post contains affiliate links that support the content on TLYCBlog.com. All opinions are my own. Find my Privacy & Disclosures Policy here.
Crochet is the practice of making compound knots into fabric using a hooked tool. With a crochet hook and yarn, you can make anything from decorations for your home to clothing, toys, heirlooms, gifts, and anything else your heart desires. And crochet is not as hard as you might think With a little patience and the right teacher, you got this!
What You Will Learn
There are hundreds of blog posts, books, and videos out there teaching crochet. My video sets itself apart by not only teaching you how to crochet but also helping you truly understand what you just did. Learning to crochet is the foundation of your knowledge. Having a strong foundation will help you better grasp more complex concepts down the line.
Here’s what you can expect from my learn to crochet video:
- What materials are best to learn crochet
- Holding your hook and yarn
- How to make a slipknot and understanding the starting chain
- A full walkthrough of single crochet, half double crochet, double crochet, and slip stitch
- How to work in turned rows
- How to fasten off and weave in ends
Your initial investment in crochet should be pretty minimal. The items mentioned here would collectively cost less than $20 (USD) if purchased brand new. For learning, consider borrowing materials from another crocheter, dropping by a thrift store to scout for supplies, or get a coupon before shopping at your local craft store.
To learn how to crochet, gather the following materials:
- YARN: Smooth yarn with a medium-to-light color that is consistent throughout. I recommend a category 4 worsted weight yarn or a category 5 bulky weight yarn. If you need some help picking a yarn, check out THIS post.
- HOOK: A crochet hook, specifically a 5.5mm for worsted weight yarn or a 6.5mm for bulky weight yarn. Learn more about crochet hooks in THIS post.
- NOTIONS: Scissors, a tapestry needle, and locking stitch markers. Learn more about crochet accessories in THIS post.
Learn How To Crochet
Click play on the video below and let your crochet journey begin!
Continue Your Crochet Journey
Now that you know the basics of crochet, there is a whole yarny world to explore. Try new yarns, stitches, and patterns to better understand your crochet style and what you like to make. Start with a few of these resources:
- Crochet books on Amazon
- Free beginner crochet patterns
- Basics of yarn fibers and types
- Crochet Hooks 101
If you’re looking for like-minded crochet fanatics, join the TLYC Makers Facebook group. We are small but mighty and we enjoy sharing our latest projects and helping each other out. Request access to this private group HERE.