Have you always wanted to learn how to crochet? Now is a great time! Join me, my friends at Lion Brand, and makers from around the world for Crochet Academy, a 7-week event for aspiring crocheters!
This post contains affiliate links that support the content on TLYCBlog.com. All opinions are my own. Find my Privacy & Disclosures Policy here.
PIN THIS POST TO SHARE WITH FRIENDS
Check out the Crochet Academy highlights in this announcement video:
Join me for a LIVE Q&A Thursday, July 8th at 5pm ET on Instagram @TLYarnCrafts. I’ll be sharing more on the Crochet Academy designs and replying to questions LIVE!
[Copy this link into your browser to watch the 7/8 live Q&A replay]
What Is Crochet Academy?
I’ve always loved doing crochet alongs (aka CALs). Crochet Academy builds on the idea of a crochet along by designating a period just for learning.
To keep it simple, Crochet Academy is a 7-week event designed to help guide new and returning makers through the fundamentals of crochet. Beginning July 12th, we’ll explore the basics when it comes to shopping for yarn, choosing the right tools, and how to crochet from the very start. The second half of the event is a crochet along with the 4 new designs I created especially for Crochet Academy. You can also look forward to live events, giveaways, and even a game show!
Here’s a breakdown of important dates:
- Sourcing Materials, now through July 12th. Kits for this fun event are available through Lion Brand beginning July 8th, or source your own yarn, hooks, and notions (keep scrolling for the project supply lists and links).
- Weeks 1-3, July 12-30. Learn the basics of crochet from how to shop for yarn, how to achieve straight edges, and more. We’ll wrap up Week 3 with our first project, a crochet washcloth.
- Weeks 4-7, August 2-27. Join the Crochet Academy Crochet Along. Choose any of the 4 new designs and make them alongside the other Academy participants.
Follow along & share your progress using the CAL hashtag on Instagram – #CrochetAcademy2021
Who Is Crochet Academy For?
There are so many reasons to learn crochet. Living through a pandemic and the subsequent quarantine brought a lot of new makers to the craft, but you might have other motivations. Here are just a few reasons to learn crochet and join Crochet Academy:
- You’ve always wanted to pick up a hobby.
- You learned some basic crochet recently and now you’re ready to go all in.
- You’re a knitter that wants to “get” crochet.
- You used to crochet but you’ve lost some of the knowledge.
- You want to try crochet as a stress reliever.
- You’re interested in starting a side business with crochet.
- You saw someone on Tik Tok crocheting and thought “I could do that!”
- You want a more productive way to binge-watch your favorite shows.
There’s no wrong reason to learn crochet. If you have any interest in getting better with a hook and string, Crochet Academy is for you! Sign up for Crochet Academy HERE.
Crochet Academy Important Dates
Get your calendars out and set some alerts for these important Crochet Academy dates:
- July 1 – Crochet Academy enrollment opens – SIGN UP HERE!
- July 8 – Pattern kits available from Lion Brand and LIVE Instagram event at 5pm ET – SHOP KITS HERE!
- July 12 – Crochet Academy kicks off with new content daily Mon-Fri
- August 2: Crochet Along starts (4 weeks) and Crochet Academy patterns available for purchase
Crochet Academy Posts
Check here daily to see which new post just went live!
- Day 1: The Best and Worst Yarns for Crochet Beginners LINK
- Day 2: How & Where to Buy Yarn, In Person and Online LINK
- Day 3: A Beginner’s Guide to Crochet Hooks LINK
- Day 4: 12 Essentials Tools & Accessories for Crocheters LINK
- Day 5: Learn How to Crochet, Step by Step [TUTORIAL VIDEO] LINK
- Day 1: How to Increase and Decrease Basic Stitches LINK
- Day 2: Crochet In The Round for Beginners LINK
4 New Free Crochet Patterns
It wouldn’t be a TLYC event without some brand new patterns! I designed each of these to be a stepping stone on your path to conquering crochet. These designs will be available as kits from Lion Brand beginning July 8th and the individual patterns will be available free and for purchase on August 2nd.
Let’s explore each design in order of difficulty from super-easy to slightly-less-easy:
1 // Avon Throw
This is the chunky crochet throw blanket you’ve been dreaming of. By using heavy yarn and basic stitches, your blanket will crochet up quickly with minimal effort. We’ll explore beginner stitches, turned rows, and bobbles in this pattern.
2 // Marlo Hat and Scarf
Marlo takes texture to the next level with a combination of stitches worked over two different but complimentary accessories. The hat is a nod to my Barclay Beanie with columns of post stitches stacked on top of a ribbed brim. The scarf, by contrast, makes use of negative space by combining mesh and v-stitches.
Materials List: 1075 total yards (6 skeins) Lion Brand Wool-Ease (#4 worsted weight) in the color Grey Heather, 4mm crochet hook, 5mm crochet hook, 6mm crochet hook, scissors, tapestry needle, blue Clover pom pom maker
3 // Omar Wrap
We’ll go up a level with the Omar Wrap. Triangle scarves are a crochet staple, and the Omar Wrap is one you’ll make again and again. The use of color changing yarn allows us to really focus on the stitching and shaping techniques of this piece. The result is a super squishy shawl you’ll be dying to show off.
4 // Kima Cardi
Last but not least is the Kima Cardi. This cardigan is so versatile. I mean, you can wear this to an outdoor music festival, on a first date, or even out to check the mailbox. It easier to make than it looks and the cozy factor is off the charts.
Size Guide: Pattern includes the sizes listed below. Note: Choose the size most suited to the fit you want. The finished cardigan is designed with 16-22″ of positive ease (meaning it is designed to be dramatically oversized). Size down for a more traditionally fitted cardigan.
- XS/S. Finished bust 50″. Sized for bust 28-34″. 930 yards/ 7 skeins.
- M/L. Finished bust 58″. Sized for bust 36-42″. 1160 yards/ 9 skeins.
- XL/2XL. Finished bust 66″. Sized for bust 44-50″. 1410 yards/ 11 skeins.
- 3XL/4XL. Finished bust 74″. Sized for bust 52-58″. 1685 yards / 13 skeins.
How To Get Involved
To confirm your participation in Crochet Academy, join the email list. This list gives you early access to each week’s topics, alerts to new content, and reminders of live events, giveaways, and special guests. After completing your registration, you’ll be directed to an anonymous survey. Complete the survey to influence Crochet Academy content and enter to win a $100 Michaels gift card!
Crochet Academy is hosted right here on TLYCBlog.com and begins Monday, July 12th. Daily content will be in the form of blog posts and some topics will have an accompanying video. Each topic will be linked above as they become available.
Download & share this badge on social media with #CrochetAcademy2021!
The crochet along for the 4 new projects begins August 2nd. When completing your projects, share your progress using the CAL hashtag #CrochetAcademy2021 on Instagram, and be sure to follow and tag @TLYarnCrafts so I can fangirl your posts! I’ll be checking the hashtag often and sharing my favorites throughout the CAL. You can also share in the TLYC private Facebook group – click here to join.
Crochet Academy 2021 Questions
What is a CAL?
A CAL, or crochet along, is a virtual event where makers from around the world work on the same project(s) together. For Crochet Academy, we’ll launch into the crochet along in week 4, after the education portion of the event is over.
I already know how to crochet. Can I just join the CAL in Week 4?
Absolutely! The CAL is open to everyone. Feel free to jump in anytime and be sure to share your progress using the CAL hashtag #CrochetAcademy2021.
Will there be videos for the new patterns?
Yes! Each new pattern will have a full tutorial video to teach you how to make the design from the first stitch all the way to blocking. We will learn to read patterns as part of Crochet Academy, so we’ll follow the patterns along with the video.
Can I use my own yarn for the crochet along?
Yes! Use the information from the materials list to swap in any of your own supplies. We’ll talk about gauge and yarn subs during Crochet Academy, so you’ll be able to figure out if you have a suitable substitution.
What are the best crochet hooks for beginners?
We’ll talk more about hooks when Crochet Academy kicks off. For now, I recommend a full set of Clover Amour hooks. The pack is pretty pricey, but you’ll end up wasting money on cheap hooks anyway. You can find the larger sizes of the Clover Amour hooks in plastic here.
Do I need any supplies other than what is listed?
Yes and no. We’ll talk more about finishing supplies during Crochet Academy and, while they’re not 100% required, I do recommend keeping finishing supplies on hand. If you want to get a jump on the event, check out these blocking boards (get 2 packs, trust me) and this garment steamer.
Will the posts and content from Crochet Academy be available after the event?
Yes! None of the links will change, and all Crochet Academy content will be linked in this post. You’re welcome to come back anytime and learn at your own pace.
Can I get the Lion Brand kits in [insert your country]?
Lion Brand does offer international shipping. Shipping costs and times vary by location. Please note that additional fees may apply, such as customs, duties & taxes (including GST/HST/VAT), etc. If you have specific questions about Lion Brand’s shipping policy, email them – [email protected]
Have more questions? Drop them in the comments!
Crochet Academy Pattern Links
Note: All 4 Crochet Academy patterns will be available for free and for individual purchase on August 2nd. The links below are a placeholder for now and will become live on August 2nd.
- Avon Throw Blanket Free Pattern | Tutorial Video
- Marlo Hat & Scarf Free Pattern | Tutorial Video
- Omar Wrap Free Pattern | Tutorial Video
- Kima Cardi Free Pattern | Tutorial Video