Have you always wanted to learn how to crochet? Now is a great time! Join me, my friends at Lion Brand, and makers from around the world for Crochet Academy, a 7-week event for aspiring crocheters!
This post contains affiliate links that support the content on TLYCBlog.com. All opinions are my own. Find my Privacy & Disclosures Policy here.
UPDATE: Crochet Academy 2022 is the second annual presentation of Crochet Academy content. This year’s event will feature content from last year as well as original content.
Check out the Crochet Academy highlights in this announcement video:
What Is Crochet Academy?
I’ve always loved doing crochet alongs (aka CALs). Crochet Academy builds on the idea of a crochet-along by designating a period just for learning.
To keep it simple, Crochet Academy is a 7-week event designed to help guide new and returning makers through the fundamentals of crochet. Beginning August 22nd, we’ll explore the basics of shopping for yarn, choosing the right tools, and how to crochet from the very start. The second half of the event is a crochet along with 4 new brand new wearable designs I created especially for Crochet Academy. You can also look forward to live events and giveaways!
Here’s a breakdown of important dates:
- Sourcing Materials, now through August 22nd. Kits for this fun event are available through Lion Brand beginning August 11th, or source your own yarn, hooks, and notions (keep scrolling for the project supply lists and links for each design).
- Weeks 1-3, August 22nd – September 11th. Learn the basics of crochet from understanding yarn fibers, how to achieve straight edges, and more. We’ll wrap up Week 3 with our first project, a crochet coaster set.
- Weeks 4-7, September 12 – October 7th. Join the Crochet Academy Crochet Along. Choose any of the 4 new designs (or any of last year’s designs) and make them alongside the other Academy participants.
Follow along & share your progress using the CAL hashtag on Instagram – #CrochetAcademy2022
Who Is Crochet Academy For?
There are so many reasons to learn crochet. Living through a pandemic and the subsequent quarantine brought a lot of new makers to the craft, but you might have other motivations. Here are just a few reasons to learn crochet and join Crochet Academy:
- You’ve always wanted to pick up a hobby.
- You learned some basic crochet recently and now you’re ready to go all in.
- You’re a knitter that wants to “get” crochet.
- You used to crochet but you’ve lost some of the knowledge.
- You want to try crochet as a stress reliever.
- You’re interested in starting a side business with crochet.
- You saw someone on Tik Tok crocheting and thought “I could do that!”
- You want a more productive way to binge-watch your favorite shows.
There’s no wrong reason to learn crochet. Crochet Academy is for YOU if you are interested in getting better with a hook and string! Sign up for Crochet Academy HERE.
Crochet Academy Important Dates
Get your calendars out and set some alerts for these important Crochet Academy dates:
- August 10 – Crochet Academy enrollment opens + live events with Lion Brand (3pm ET, Instagram) and on Toni’s profile (6pm ET, Instagram)
- August 11th – Pattern kits available from Lion Brand – SHOP KITS HERE!
- August 22nd – Crochet Academy kicks off with content daily Mon-Fri
- September 12th: Crochet Along starts (4 weeks) and Crochet Academy patterns available for purchase
Crochet Academy Posts
Check here daily to see which new post just went live!
- Day 1: Understanding Yarn Fiber LINK
- Day 2: The Skinny on Yarn Weights LINK
- Day 3: A Beginner’s Guide to Crochet Hooks LINK
- Day 4: Toni’s Favorite Crochet Tools – 10 Items She Can’t Live Without LINK
- Day 5: Learn How to Crochet, Step by Step [TUTORIAL VIDEO] LINK
- Day 1: Yarn Substitutions Made EASY LINK
- Day 2: Basic Crochet Increases & Decreases LINK
- Day 3: 8 Crochet Color Changes LINK
- Day 4: 4 Easy Crochet Seaming Techniques LINK
- Day 5: Don’t Skip These 3 Crochet Finishing Steps LINK
- Day 1: How to Read Crochet Patterns for Total Beginners LINK
- Day 2: How to Crochet Granny Squares LINK
- Day 3: Crochet Borders & Trims LINK
- Day 4: 50+ Crochet Hacks + Tips for Beginners LINK
- Day 5: Making the Sunshine Coaster Set LINK
4 New Free Crochet Patterns
It wouldn’t be a TLYC event without some brand new patterns! I designed each of these wearable patterns as an opportunity to challenge your new skills and help your closet transition into fall.
Let’s explore each design in order of difficulty from super-easy to slightly-less-easy:
1 // Lynn Fringe Vest – FREE PATTERN | PAID PATTERN
Hold only the last glorious days of summer while wearing the Lynn Fringe Vest. A simple by addictive stitch pattern and playful fringe make this a project you’ll zoom through. We’ll explore beginner stitches, turned rows, and adding adornments in this pattern.
Size Guide: The pattern includes the sizes listed below. Note: Choose the size most suited to the fit you want. The finished vest is designed with 10-18″ of positive ease (meaning it is designed to be comfortably oversized).
- S/M. Finished bust 50″. Sized for bust 32-38″. 975 yards/ 7 skeins.
- L/XL. Finished bust 56″. Sized for bust 40-46″. 1105 yards/ 8 skeins.
- 2XL/3XL. Finished bust 60″. Sized for bust 48-54″. 1220 yards/ 8 skeins.
- 4XL/5XL. Finished bust 66″. Sized for bust 56-62″. 1380 yards / 9 skeins.
2 // Maya Striped Tank – FREE PATTERN | PAID PATTERN
This simple and sweet tank looks great paired with comfy shorts for a road trip or dressed up for a stylish day in the office. Begin with basic ribbing, then add the classic linen stitch for an endlessly wearable layering piece.
Size Guide: The pattern includes the sizes listed below. Note: Choose the size most suited to the fit you want. The finished tank is designed with 2-4″ of negative ease (meaning it is designed to be snug initially and will stretch to a comfortable size). Yard/skeins account for 2 colors – A (Amber) and B (Cream).
- S. Finished bust 30″. Sized for bust 32-34″. 315/130 yards; 3/2 skeins.
- M. Finished bust 34″. Sized for bust 36-38″. 365/155 yards; 4/2 skeins.
- L. Finished bust 38″. Sized for bust 40-42″. 425/185 yards; 4/2 skeins.
- XL. Finished bust 42″. Sized for bust 44-46″. 495/210 yards; 5/2 skeins.
- 2XL. Finished bust 46″. Sized for bust 48-50″. 545/240 yards; 5/3 skeins.
- 3XL. Finished bust 50″. Sized for bust 52-54″. 610/260 yards; 6/3 skeins.
- 4XL. Finished bust 54″. Sized for bust 56-58″. 660/280 yards / 6/3 skeins.
3 // Toni Cuffed Cardi – FREE PATTERN | PAID PATTERN
Are you ready for some sleeves?! As soon as you put on the Toni Cuffed Cardi, you won’t want to take it off. This super casual cardigan features a sloped neckline, functional buttons, and extra long sleeves that you can cuff to your preferred length. The result? A classic cardigan to get you through any social event this fall.
Size Guide: The pattern includes the sizes listed below. Note: Choose the size most suited to the fit you want. The finished cardigan is designed with 4″ of positive ease (meaning it is designed to be just slightly oversized with fitted sleeves).
- S. Finished bust 38″. Sized for bust 34″. 1025 yards; 5 skeins.
- M. Finished bust 42″. Sized for bust 38″. 1195 yards; 5 skeins.
- L. Finished bust 46″. Sized for bust 42″. 1310 yards; 6 skeins.
- XL. Finished bust 50″. Sized for bust 46″. 1480 yards; 6 skeins.
- 2XL. Finished bust 54″. Sized for bust 50″. 1660 yards; 7 skeins.
- 3XL. Finished bust 58″. Sized for bust 54″. 1785 yards; 8 skeins.
- 4XL. Finished bust 62″. Sized for bust 58″. 1975 yards / 8 skeins.
4 // Joan Granny Sweater – FREE PATTERN | PAID PATTERN
Last but not least is the Joan Granny Sweater. Granny squares are all the rage, and for good reason – they’re timless, playful, and so fun to make. The Joan Granny Sweater features granny squares AND stripes, making a cozy pullover for chilly early-winter days.
Size Guide: The pattern includes the sizes listed below. Note: Choose the size most suited to the fit you want. The finished sweater is designed with 2-8″ of positive ease (meaning it is designed to be comfortably oversized). Yard/skeins account for the main color and three accents. Accent yardage is the amount you need for EACH of the 3 accent colors.
- S/M. Finished bust 40″. Sized for bust 32-38″. 450/360 yards; 3/2 skeins each.
- L/XL. Finished bust 48″. Sized for bust 40-46″. 710/415 yards/ 4/3 skeins each.
- 2XL/3XL. Finished bust 56″. Sized for bust 48-54″. 755/460 yards/ 5/3 skeins each.
- 4XL/5XL. Finished bust 64″. Sized for bust 56-62″. 925/535 yards / 6/3 skeins.
Materials List: Lion Brand Basic Stitch (#4 worsted weight) in the colors Beige Heather (MC) and Sage, Mustard, and Adobe, 4.5mm and 5.5mm crochet hooks, tape measure, scissors, tapestry needle, locking stitch markers
2021 Crochet Academy Patterns
Looking for more options? I’ve got you! You can participate in the Crochet Academy 2022 crochet along using patterns from 2021! Get the full details on the Omar Wrap, Avon Throw Blanket, Kima Cardi, and Marlo Hat + Scarf patterns with free tutorial videos!
How To Get Involved
Ready to take your relationship with crochet to the next level? Follow these steps to prepare yourself for Crochet Academy!
Step 1: Enroll. Getting enrolled in Crochet Academy is fast and easy. Join this email list and you’re in! You can expect a welcome email with important information and links to follow. Then, when Crochet Academy starts on August 22nd, look for daily emails to direct you to that day’s content so you can learn to crochet.
Step 2: Get the Swag. Commemorate your crochet discovery with an official Crochet Academy Enamel Pin! Designed in collaboration with Twill & Print, these hard enamel pins make the perfect accent for project bags, jean jackets, and maker backpacks. Quantities are limited, so don’t wait! Snag your pin HERE.
Step 3: Share the love. Here’s your first lesson from Crochet Academy – crocheting is always better with friends! Share that you’re joining Crochet Academy and encourage others to participate. Save the badge below, share it on your social accounts, and direct makers to TLYCBlog.com for more information.
Crochet Academy 2022 Questions
What is a CAL?
A CAL, or crochet along, is a virtual event where makers worldwide work on the same project(s) together. For Crochet Academy, we’ll launch into the crochet along in week 4, after the education portion of the event is over.
I already know how to crochet. Can I just join the CAL in Week 4?
Absolutely! The CAL is open to everyone. Feel free to jump in anytime and be sure to share your progress using the CAL hashtag #CrochetAcademy2022.
Will there be videos for the new patterns?
Yes! Each new pattern will have a full tutorial video to teach you how to make the design from the first stitch all the way to blocking. We will learn to read patterns as part of Crochet Academy, so we’ll follow the patterns along with the video.
Can I use my own yarn for the crochet along?
Yes! Use the information from the materials list to swap in any of your own supplies. We’ll talk about gauge and yarn substitutions during Crochet Academy, so you can figure out if you have a suitable substitution.
What are the best crochet hooks for beginners?
We’ll talk more about hooks when Crochet Academy kicks off. For now, I recommend a full set of Clover Amour hooks. The pack is pretty pricey, but you’ll waste money on cheap hooks anyway. You can find the larger sizes of the Clover Amour hooks in plastic here.
Do I need any supplies other than what is listed?
Yes and no. We’ll talk more about finishing supplies during Crochet Academy, and while they’re not 100% required, I do recommend keeping finishing supplies on hand. If you want to get a jump on the event, check out these blocking boards (get 2 packs, trust me) and this garment steamer.
Will the posts and content from Crochet Academy be available after the event?
Yes! None of the links will change, and all Crochet Academy content will be linked in this post so you can learn to crochet anytime. You’re welcome to come back anytime and learn at your own pace.
Can I get the Lion Brand kits in [insert your country]?
Lion Brand does offer international shipping. Shipping costs and times vary by location. Please note that additional fees may apply, such as customs, duties & taxes (including GST/HST/VAT), etc. If you have specific questions about Lion Brand’s shipping policy, email them – [email protected]
Have more questions? Drop them in the comments!
Crochet Academy Pattern Links
Note: All 4 Crochet Academy patterns will be available for free and for individual purchase on August 22nd. The links below are a placeholder for now and will become live on September 12th.