Have you always wanted to learn how to crochet? Now is a great time! Join me, my friends at Lion Brand, and makers from around the world for Crochet Academy, a 7-week event for aspiring crocheters!
This post contains affiliate links that support the content on TLYCBlog.com. All opinions are my own. Find my Privacy & Disclosures Policy here.
UPDATE: Crochet Academy 2023 is the third annual presentation of Crochet Academy content. This year’s event will feature content from previous years, as well as original content.
Check out the Crochet Academy highlights in this announcement video:
What Is Crochet Academy?
I’ve always loved doing crochet alongs (aka CALs). Crochet Academy builds on the idea of a crochet-along by designating a period just for learning.
To keep it simple, Crochet Academy is a 7-week event designed to help guide new and returning makers through the fundamentals of crochet. Beginning May 1st, we’ll explore the basics of shopping for yarn, choosing the right tools, and how to crochet from the very start. The second half of the event is a crochet along with 3 brand new summer-ready designs I created especially for Crochet Academy. You can also look forward to live events and giveaways!
Here’s a breakdown of important dates:
- Sourcing Materials, now through May 1st. Kits for this fun event are available through Lion Brand beginning April 20th, or source your own yarn, hooks, and notions (keep scrolling for the project supply lists and links for each design).
- Weeks 1-3, May 1st-20th. Learn the basics of crochet from understanding yarn fibers, how to complete the basic stitches, and much more. We’ll wrap up Week 3 with our first project, a practical crochet basket.
- Weeks 4-7, May 22nd-June 16th. Join the Crochet Academy Crochet Along. Choose any of the 3 new designs (or any previous year’s designs!) and make them alongside the other Academy participants.
Follow along & share your progress using the CAL hashtag on Instagram – #CrochetAcademy2023
Who Is Crochet Academy For?
There are so many reasons to learn crochet. Avoid the mass-produced crochet in the stores – MAKE IT YOURSELF! Here are just a few reasons to learn crochet and join Crochet Academy:
- You’ve always wanted to pick up a hobby.
- You learned some basic crochet recently and now you’re ready to go all in.
- You’re a knitter that wants to “get” crochet.
- You used to crochet but you’ve lost some of the knowledge.
- You want to try crochet as a stress reliever.
- You’re interested in starting a side business with crochet.
- You saw someone on Tik Tok crocheting and thought “I could do that!”
- You want a more productive way to binge-watch your favorite shows.
There’s no wrong reason to learn crochet. Crochet Academy is for YOU if you want to get better with a hook and string! Sign up for Crochet Academy HERE.
Crochet Academy Important Dates
Get your calendars out and set some alerts for these important Crochet Academy dates:
- April 18th – Crochet Academy enrollment opens + live Q&A on Instagram (3pm ET) and YouTube (4pm ET)
- April 20th – Pattern kits available from Lion Brand – SHOP KITS HERE!
- May 1st – Crochet Academy kicks off with content daily Monday-Saturday
- May 22nd: Crochet Along starts (4 weeks), and Crochet Academy patterns available for purchase
Crochet Academy Posts
Check here daily to see which new post just went live!
- Day 1: The Best (and WORST!) Yarns for Beginners LINK
- Day 2: The Skinny on Yarn Weights LINK
- Day 3: A Beginner’s Guide to Crochet Hooks LINK
- Day 4: Essential Tools + Notions for Crochet Success LINK
- Day 5: Learn How to Crochet, Step by Step LINK
- BONUS: Independent Study – Granny Squares LINK
- Day 6: Yarn Substitutions Made EASY LINK
- Day 7: Basic Crochet Increases & Decreases LINK
- Day 8: Must-Know Crochet Color Changes LINK
- Day 9: 4 Easy Crochet Seaming Techniques LINK
- Day 10: Don’t Skip These 3 Crochet Finishing Steps LINK
- BONUS: Independent Study – Granny Squares LINK
- Day 11: How to Read Crochet Patterns for Total Beginners LINK
- Day 12: 15 Stitches for Beginner Crocheters to Try LINK
- Day 13: Crochet Borders & Trims LINK
- Day 14: 10 Common Mistakes Crochet Beginners Make LINK
- Day 15: Making the Starlight Basket LINK
3 New Free Crochet Patterns
It wouldn’t be a TLYC event without some brand new patterns! I designed each of these summer-ready patterns as an opportunity to challenge your new skills and help your wardrobe transition for warmer weather.
Let’s explore each design to help you pick your favorite for the crochet along:
1 // Tobago Bag FREE PATTERN | TUTORIAL VIDEO
When you’re ready to set sail on a summer adventure, drop your essentials in the Tobago Bag and go! Made from three simple motifs, this modular bag is a perfect marriage between form and function. We’ll explore beginner stitches, working in the round, and adding adornments.
Materials List: Lion Brand 24/7 Cotton (#4 worsted weight) in 4 colors (A – Jade, 40 yards; B – Creamsicle, 60 yards, C – Pink Lemonade, 80 yards, and D – Ecru, 170 yards), 3.5mm crochet hook, 4mm crochet hook, scissors, tapestry needle, and two 15mm wood beads (optional, not included in Lion Brand kit!).
2 // Montego Shawl FREE PATTERN | TUTORIAL VIDEO
Stave off the chill during a summer night stroll when you wrap the Montego Shawl around your shoulders. Rhythmic double and treble crochet stitches are finished off with a sweet picot border to compliment any casual look.
3 // Aruba Tunic FREE PATTERN | TUTORIAL VIDEO
From the beach to the boardwalk, you’ll be ready for anything in the Aruba Tunic. Two panels of breezy Tunisian crochet stitches are jazzed up with simple stripes for a lightweight layer you won’t want to take off.
Size Guide: The pattern includes the sizes listed below. Note: Choose the size most suited to the fit you want. The finished tunic is designed with 6-12″ of positive ease (meaning it is designed to be oversized).
- XS/S. Finished bust 40″. Sized for bust 28-34″. A – 425 yards; B – 270 yards.
- M/L. Finished bust 48″. Sized for bust 36-42″. A – 525 yards; B – 345 yards.
- XL/2XL. Finished bust 56″. Sized for bust 44-50″. A – 665 yards; B – 445 yards.
- 3XL/4XL. Finished bust 64″. Sized for bust 52-58″. A – 765 yards; B – 500 yards.
Materials List: Lion Brand Coboo (#3 DK weight) in Lichen (A) and Tan (B), 5.5mm Tunisian crochet hook with 40″ cord, scissors, tapestry needle, locking stitch markers, tape measure, blocking supplies.
Past Year’s Crochet Academy Patterns
Looking for more options? I’ve got you! You can participate in the Crochet Academy 2023 crochet along using patterns from 2021 and 2022! Get the full details on the Joan Granny Sweater, Toni Cuffed Cardi, Lynn Fringe Vest, Maya Striped Tank, Marlo Hat + Scarf Set, Kima Cardi, Omar Wrap, and the Avon Throw Blanket, including free patterns + tutorial videos.
How To Get Involved
Ready to take your relationship with crochet to the next level? Follow these steps to prepare yourself for Crochet Academy!
Step 1: Enroll. Getting enrolled in Crochet Academy is fast and easy. Join this email list and you’re in! You can expect a welcome email with important information and links to follow. Then, when Crochet Academy starts on May 1st, look for daily emails to direct you to that day’s content so you can learn to crochet.
Step 2: Get the Swag. Commemorate your crochet discovery with an official Crochet Academy Enamel Pin! Designed in collaboration with Twill & Print, these hard enamel pins make the perfect accent for project bags, jean jackets, and maker backpacks. Quantities are limited, so don’t wait! Snag your pin HERE.
Step 3: Share the love. Here’s your first lesson from Crochet Academy – crocheting is always better with friends! Share that you’re joining Crochet Academy and encourage others to participate. Save the badge below, share it on your social accounts, and direct makers to TLYCBlog.com for more information.
Crochet Academy 2023 Questions
What is a CAL?
A CAL, or crochet along, is a virtual event where makers worldwide work on the same project(s) together. For Crochet Academy, we’ll launch into the crochet along in week 4, after the education portion of the event is over.
I already know how to crochet. Can I just join the CAL in Week 4?
Absolutely! The CAL is open to everyone. Feel free to jump in anytime and be sure to share your progress using the CAL hashtag #CrochetAcademy2023 on Instagram, and post your updated in the TL Yarn Crafts Facebook group.
Will there be videos for the new patterns?
Yes! Each new pattern will have a full tutorial video to teach you how to make the design stitch-by-stitch. Find there here on my YouTube Channel!
Can I use my own yarn for the crochet along?
Yes! Use the information from the materials list to swap in any of your own supplies. We’ll talk about gauge and yarn substitutions during Crochet Academy, so you can determine if you have a suitable substitution.
What are the best crochet hooks for beginners?
We’ll talk more about hooks when Crochet Academy kicks off. For now, I recommend a full set of Clover Amour hooks. The pack is pretty pricey, but you’ll waste money on cheap hooks anyway. You can find the larger sizes of the Clover Amour hooks in plastic here.
Do I need any supplies other than what is listed?
Yes and no. We’ll talk more about finishing supplies during Crochet Academy, and while they’re not 100% required, I do recommend keeping finishing supplies on hand. If you want to get a jump on the event, check out these blocking boards (get 2 packs, trust me) and this garment steamer.
Will the posts and content from Crochet Academy be available after the event?
Yes! All Crochet Academy content will be linked in this post so you can learn to crochet anytime. You’re welcome to come back anytime and learn at your own pace.
Can I get the Lion Brand kits in [insert your country]?
Lion Brand does offer international shipping. Shipping costs and times vary by location. Please note that additional fees may apply, such as customs, duties & taxes (including GST/HST/VAT), etc. If you have specific questions about Lion Brand’s shipping policy, email them – [email protected].